Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cricket Australia delicate with Pattinson

Fast bowler James Pattinson feels Cricket Australia has his best interests at heart despite bowling him when it had been warned he was on the verge of serious injury. Australian coach Mickey Arthur revealed he and his staff had been warned Pattinson was at breaking point going into last summer's SCG Test against India. Despite the warning, the Victorian took part in the match and subsequently broke down with a stress injury in his foot, sparking a run of injury woes which hampered the 22-year-old for the next few months. But Pattinson says he's confident in the plans team management has in place for himself and the rest of Australia's pace brigade relating to workloads and injury prevention. Advertisement "The way they're doing it now is very good and I think it's going to hold us all in good stead come three or four years, like Mickey was talking about, once you reach that age of 25 and become a bit more mature," Pattinson told reporters on Tuesday. "We are a pretty young bowling side coming through and we don't want to get burn-out too early." Pattinson said he had been injury-free for the past two months and was itching to get back into action ahead of this summer's blockbuster Test series against South Africa. Pattinson will join his Victoria teammates for a domestic one-day cup match against Western Australia in Perth on Friday as he begins his preparations for the opening Test of the summer at the Gabba from November 9. Pat Cummins, who claimed seven wickets in his only Test in November last year in Johannesburg, is also fit and firing and keen to play a role in the home series against South Africa. However the NSW teenager says with Ben Hilfenhaus and Peter Siddle leading the attack and Pattinson, Mitchell Starc and Ryan Harris (when fit) pushing for the third seamer's role, his opportunities could be few this summer in the six Tests against South Africa and Sri Lanka. "There's a few young people who are at risk of injury so the aim is to try to keep us all on the park," Cummins said in Colombo on Tuesday. "It doesn't mean we'll all play together. It's a good thing, rotating us. "It's probably going to be tough to take if one of us gets a man-of-the-match (award) and has to miss the next game. "'Patto' is a couple of years ahead of me so he has to be able to play a couple more and 'Starcy' the same." Cummins has recovered from a foot injury which has kept him out of first-class cricket since his Test debut in November 2011. Following a side strain earlier this year, Cummins has returned to full fitness and is part of Australia's three-pronged pace attack with Starc and Shane Watson in the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka.

courtest to google.